Sunday, February 24, 2013

Basic Salad Dressings 2


Tangy salad dressing
Tangy salad dressing (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Welcome back everyone today is week two of “Basic but WOW Sunday” and I hope to finish today, talking about basic salad dressings. First thing, I would like to thank my friend and fellow blogger Graham Pearson of Entropy Kitchen for suggesting this topic. I hope between last week and this week I have done it justice.

Last week I talked about basic Vinaigrettes and Emulsified Vinaigrettes. Today I will take you through some of the basics of Creamy Dressings. This is a very broad subject so I will stick to the very basics here while still providing some of my favorite recipes in accompanying post.


Creamy Salad Dressings can be made from many bases, the most popular being Mayonnaise, Sour Cream and Yogurt but can actually be made from anything that gives you a creamy texture. One of my favorites is my own “Garlic Ginger Dressing” which is based on Peanut butter. May sound odd but in cooking there is no right or wrong only good tasting and not so good. If you think it sounds good, try it. Don’t be afraid to experiment and dressings are a good place to start playing with different seasonings. Be the chef experiment and have fun.

The closeup of a salad. Ingredients include le...The key to any salad dressing is the flavors should never be too strong, the object is to enhance the flavors of your main ingredients not hide them. A good dressing brings out, blends and highlights the wonderful flavors of the main ingredients without covering them up. To accomplish this seasoning should be subtle not overpowering. They should complement not kill.

The best way to learn is by doing so let’s start by making a Basic Mayonnaise. Click the link in the text for the recipe. Then see what we can accomplish from this basic start.

From this Basic Mayo you can make a Blue cheese dressing a Garlic dressing or combine it with Sour Cream or Yogurt to make any number of other dressings. I’ll be posting recipes all week to help you along with this. For now just keep it simple try taking ½ cup of you Basic Mayo add 1 minced clove of garlic, 1 tsp of grated Parmesan Cheese and 2 Tbs of Sour Cream. Slowly mix in about 2 Tbs of Olive Oil; you have just made a very nice Garlic Parmesan Salad Dressing.


Thousand Island Dressing on a plate of salad. ...
Thousand Island Dressing on a plate of salad. Taken by Flickr user JND90745 at Pancho's restaurant, Manhattan Beach, California, USA. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Yes it is that simple. It is that easy and as I keep saying there are no limits except the ones you put on your imagination. I hope I have done a sufficient job of introducing you to the basics of Salad Dressings. I hope I have inspired you to try going your own way following your own heart in the kitchen.

 Sunday is the day that I hand my blog over to you. You pick the topic. If you have any questions please comment below. If you have any Ideas or suggestions for future subjects in the basics category, please let me know. I’ll leave you today with this, No matter your endeavors always, Enjoy!

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know how we are doing. Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.